Summer has arrived and with it comes the celebrated backyard BBQ. Although hot dogs and hamburgers are the norm at an outdoor shindig, as a host, you can’t forget to provide a vegetarian alternative for your non-meat eating friends. Keeping it simple does not have to mean a boring salad, instead put your Samsung range appliances to good use and create a delicious roasted eggplant pesto sandwich, and don’t be surprised if your meat-eating guests ask to sample this veggie delight during your party.
Roasted Eggplant Pesto Sandwich with Aged Cheddar Cheese
Ingredients You’ll Need
- 1 Large Eggplant, sliced into 1/4” round pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Your favorite store-bought pesto sauce
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 4 Slices Aged White Cheddar Cheese
- 4 rolls ciabatta, sliced.
- 1 avocado
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
- Cut the eggplant into 1/4” slices. Leave the eggplant skin on. However, if you prefer, you can remove the skin.
- Coat both sides of each eggplant slice with olive oil, and place them on a parchment covered baking sheet. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste
- Roast the eggplant in your oven for 10 minutes. Once the 10 minutes are up, take the eggplant out and flip the slices. Put the eggplant back in the oven to cook for another 10 minutes.
- Turn over the eggplant one last time and roast for another 3 to 5 minutes. The slices should be moist and soft. They should also appear slightly browned when they are done.
- Cut open your ciabatta bread and toast it on a baking sheet in the oven. Once the bread is nice and crispy, take it out and spread your chosen pesto sauce on one side. On top of that add a piece of aged white cheddar cheese. If you would like the cheese slightly melted, place the ciabatta bread back in the oven for a minute or two.
- After the eggplant slices and ciabatta have cooled down start making your sandwiches. If you want a little extra flavor, top the sandwich off with a wedge or two of avocado.